Wiki CEMC Exam

Best answers
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to study for the CEMC exam. I have failed twice and I am at a loss because I did really well on both the Practice Exam and the Study Guide exam.

I noticed there's an online CEMC review class being hosted by the Palm Beach, FL chapter on 01/13/2024
I personally found the exam very similar to the study guide and practice exam and simpler than the CPC as there is less material to study. I would also recommend using an audit tool (which is allowed for CEMC). I think I took the AMA guideline and added some info from the NAMAS guide. Make sure you really know all those AMA full guideline definitions off the top of your head.
Good luck!

Csperoni how/where did you find this review class? I missed this one but, would be very interested in searching for another one.

I would also suggest taking the practice exams in a "mock" exam format as practice. Time it and treat it like you are sitting for the actual exam with no interruptions. Sometimes time management and nerves are the problem. As stated above you have to know the guidelines and definitions without looking them up. You have to be able to quickly get to the information you need in the guidelines and sections when referencing the book. Audit tool is a must. I used the NAMAS one. One tip is to make sure you look at the answers to the question first instead of wasting time reading a whole huge paragraph when they are only asking one small part of it.
What parts did you struggle with during the exam? Spend more time practicing on those.
If you don't know the answer quickly, skip the question and go on to the next one. Go back to the ones you skipped at the end. If you still don't know make sure you pick something, don't leave any answer blank.

Other common issues according to AAPC. I agree and have seen folks struggle with this when taking the exam even though they do well preparing and on practice exams:

Identify other areas of weakness

While this is by no means an exhaustive list, here are some of the more popular issues that many students report facing on exam day. Just as there are areas of academic weakness, these issues must be acknowledged and overcome for a successful exam retake:
  1. Poor time management
  2. Poor organizational skills
  3. Procrastination
  4. Stress and anxiety
  5. Becoming easily frustrated

Searching chapter events is here:

Csperoni how/where did you find this review class? I missed this one but, would be very interested in searching for another one.
I periodically look at all chapters to see about upcoming meetings (looking for relevant virtual meetings). I happened to notice this one and also remembered your post about the CEMC.
If you go to the "Membership" dropdown on top right, then "Local Chapters". On the left menu, "List All Chapters". You sort of just need to get lucky to find a virtual review class for specialty exams. I know I've seen them for CPC, but don't recall seeing many specialty review classes.

I would also suggest taking the practice exams in a "mock" exam format as practice. Time it and treat it like you are sitting for the actual exam with no interruptions. Sometimes time management and nerves are the problem. As stated above you have to know the guidelines and definitions without looking them up. You have to be able to quickly get to the information you need in the guidelines and sections when referencing the book. Audit tool is a must. I used the NAMAS one. One tip is to make sure you look at the answers to the question first instead of wasting time reading a whole huge paragraph when they are only asking one small part of it.
What parts did you struggle with during the exam? Spend more time practicing on those.
If you don't know the answer quickly, skip the question and go on to the next one. Go back to the ones you skipped at the end. If you still don't know make sure you pick something, don't leave any answer blank.

Other common issues according to AAPC. I agree and have seen folks struggle with this when taking the exam even though they do well preparing and on practice exams:

Identify other areas of weakness

While this is by no means an exhaustive list, here are some of the more popular issues that many students report facing on exam day. Just as there are areas of academic weakness, these issues must be acknowledged and overcome for a successful exam retake:
  1. Poor time management
  2. Poor organizational skills
  3. Procrastination
  4. Stress and anxiety
  5. Becoming easily frustrated

Searching chapter events is here:
I think this is very key advice for the CPC (and possibly some of the specialty exams). However, for CEMC, there really were not any very long questions (like op notes). It is a fair amount of providing an encounter note, then asking several questions about that same note. The CEMC exam results do not give a score breakdown like is done for CPC, so it may be more difficult to know what types of questions you are missing. But on the practice test, you can certainly see what you answered incorrectly. You should know rules for split/shared, incident-to and teaching guidelines. You should already be a familiar with diagnosis guidelines from CPC. Knowing those AMA full E&M guidelines inside and out are paramount.