Question cerumen impaction

rleif1sun

Guru
Best answers
patient seen for general adult medical examination and provider noticed ears impacted with cerumen. he removed with currette. is this an abnormal finding or is this normal?

nickelclaw

Guru
Best answers
I would say yes but also make sure you code the impacted wax and procedure:)
To me wax in ear is normal, however; impacted wax is not plus the need for procedure.

I know that this question to coding clinic doesn't pertain but note the meaning of abnormal finding from the answer:
Question:
A patient is seen for a well-child exam. He also has viral bronchitis, which was diagnosed during a previous visit, and is still under treatment. Would code Z00.121 or code Z00.129 be assigned in this case?

Answer:
Assign code Z00.129, Encounter for routine child health examination without abnormal findings, as the first-listed diagnosis. Assign also the appropriate code for viral bronchitis. An examination with abnormal findings refers to a condition/ diagnosis that is newly found, or a change in severity of a chronic condition, such as uncontrolled hypertension, or an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, during a routine physical exam.
Code Z00.121 is not appropriate, since previously diagnosed conditions are not considered abnormal findings unless either exacerbated or uncontrolled during a current well child exam.

Cerumen removal, correct reporting
CPT Assistant, March 2016 Page: 10 Category: Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions: Surgery: Auditory System
Question:
How is removal of cerumen reported?
Answer:
For impacted cerumen removal that requires instrumentation (eg, cerumen loop/curette, forceps, suction, hook), report code 69210, Removal impacted cerumen requiring instrumentation, unilateral. For the removal of impacted cerumen using irrigation without instrumentation, report code 69209, Removal impacted cerumen using irrigation/lavage, unilateral. For the removal of cerumen that is not impacted, report the appropriate evaluation and management (E/M) service code (eg, 99201-99215, 99221-99223).