Wiki Cesarean assisted vaginal delivery coding

Best answers
I have been coding deliveries for over 5 years and have never had to code this one. The op note states:

Severe shoulder dystocia followed by "abdominal rescue", cesarean hysterotomy to reduce fetal shoulders below the pubic bone with vaginal delivery of the neonate.

Also 5 hours after the delivery and exploratory laparotomy was done to stop bleeding in the broad ligament of the uterus. I assume I can put a modifier 59 on the laparotomy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Misty

I have been coding deliveries for over 5 years and have never had to code this one. The op note states:

Severe shoulder dystocia followed by "abdominal rescue", cesarean hysterotomy to reduce fetal shoulders below the pubic bone with vaginal delivery of the neonate.

Also 5 hours after the delivery and exploratory laparotomy was done to stop bleeding in the broad ligament of the uterus. I assume I can put a modifier 59 on the laparotomy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Misty
I would only use mod 78 if they had to take patient back to operating room. If they are there the whole time, I would use 51 or 59. Whatever is the appropriate modifier