Wiki Chargemaster or EMR issue - HCPCS

DeniseML

New
Best answers
We recently switched to a new EMR at the same time as starting a new coding dept. I am wanting to make sure I am fighting an issue correctly. My interpretation- the dosage in the HCPCS book is the starting point and then as then you would change quantity to match administration by adjusting the quantity.
For this medication- In the book, the dosage is 0.01mg. The example below shows quantity of 1 but the patient received .4 mg in one admin and the 1.0mg in the second administration. To my understanding you change the quantity to bring the 0.01mg to match what was given to the patient.
I am trying to explain, but it is not coming across and I want to make sure it is something I am getting right before pushing harder. Or maybe it doesn't matter, and I need to back down. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.
1702683760526.png

It depends on how the EMR translates the quantity versus the dosage versus what is documented into the charge on the superbill. This can vary between EMRs and how they are set up. I have seen this process have big issues between what was "clicked" in the EMR and what actually comes out on the claim or in the documentation.

In your example above, what does a QTY of 1 equal? What does it mean when it comes out in the charge or in the documentation? Does QTY 1 mean it is equal to reporting one unit of the HCPCS which would be 0.01mg? If that is the case then you would have to change the QTY to match the dosage and HCPCS amount. In your example it would be 40 for the first admin. (0.01x40=.4) The second would be 100 for the second (0.01x100=1.0) The charge amount listed there seems way off base?