Wiki Charging for a visit while in hospital

Phlemelle

New
Best answers
Hello Everyone,

My doctor admitted a patient to the hospital. While the child was in the hospital, the parent brought the sibling to the hospital while my Dr. was making rounds to be seen b/c the child was sick. Can anyone tell me if there is such a code to bill for my Dr seeing this child in a hos setting or out the office setting for services rendered?

Wow, this is interesting.

My thinking is you would use the established sick visits 99212-99215 with place of service 22, but I have no idea how that will pan out thru the insurance.

I can't think of any other way to bill for the service.

Good luck,

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Thanks for repling to me. You and I are thinking the same thing but when I will submit this as an office visit with a hosp. pos, the carrier will definitely kick it back as a denial. I can try this and if the carrier denies then I have justification for the write-off and chalk it up to a free service.

What do you think?

Good possibility it will be a write off, but then again maybe not. You'll never know til you try.

If they do reject and you have to write off I would use that as a spring board to educate the provider. Maybe come up with some type of scripting he will be comfortable with if put in this situation again so he doesn't get stuck providing free services and putting himself at risk.

Laura, CPC, CECM