Wiki Chemotherapy and Telehealth

Coder123!

New
Best answers
Our providers are now doing telehealth visits And the patient is also seen for chemotherapy The same day. Is it appropriate to attach a 25 modifier and a 95 modifier?
Another question if the chemo provider does a telehealth visit and the patient receives a port flush no lab drawn the same day can we bill port Flush since it’s telehealth??
Thank you for your help.

I just have to ask. If the patient is present in the office getting chemotherapy or port flush, then why is the visit telehealth? The overall need for the telehealth expansion was to keep patients safely in their homes when possible.
I have no official resource, but I would assume if the visit was billable -25 if in person, there should be no reason it's not billable if telehealth.
Same with port flush. Haven't billed chemo in 10+ years, but I think port flush same day as E/M is bundled.

I just have to ask. If the patient is present in the office getting chemotherapy or port flush, then why is the visit telehealth? The overall need for the telehealth expansion was to keep patients safely in their homes when possible.
I have no official resource, but I would assume if the visit was billable -25 if in person, there should be no reason it's not billable if telehealth.
Same with port flush. Haven't billed chemo in 10+ years, but I think port flush same day as E/M is bundled.
Thank you for your response, that is what I was thinking but wanted some feedback. I'm not sure why the telehealth visit unless it's just reducing patient flow into the office.

It reduces the patient's time in the office and the number of staff they come in to contact with. It doesn't happen often but we have had a few where the patient preference was a telehealth visit even though they came later for their (pre-scheduled) chemotherapy treatment. Our intake flow is slightly different once the patient clears check-in depending on whether you have a visit or are here for treatment/injection only. Interestingly, most of our patients seem to prefer in-person visits with their oncologists over telehealth.

And you are right, port flush always bundles. It is only separately paid when it is the only billable service performed that day.