Best answers
Hello,
I am taking my CHONC in August. I am taking the class and have the study guides/practice exam. I also currently work in a Hematology Oncology practice. I have three questions:

1.) Is the specialty book for hematology oncology sold by the AAPC considered a reference book? I get mixed answers on this. I have been making many notes in it and would like to use it.

2.) What areas should I really make sure to study? I’ve done a few webinars on E&M and have the updated worksheets for 2021. I think I’m pretty strong in this section. The class is extremely easy. I just really want to pass with an above average score. That’s a personal preference so it’s very important to me that I have all my I’s dotted and T’s crossed.

3.) How has having a CHONC affected your career as a coder? I can’t find any articles about it or the benefits.

rachaelwilleford

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
1. It's a good begining source. ASTRO (Radiation) and ASCO (Medical) have some resources available. Also AMAC has a radiation certification whose study guide is pretty thorough. AAPC's certification I feel is pretty surface for oncology and leans towards the medical oncology side of things with diagnosis knowledge.

2. I was surprised by the amount of E&M leveling on the test. That being said, the practice exams in the book and online give a good idea of how the test is.

3. My current employer required it, but I also work in an outpatient facility oncology clinic and infusion center. I have worked in oncology going on 11 years. Our hospital system employs certified coders who work on the charge capturing for the hospital system as a whole, however our area has dedicated billing and coding staff. It's definitely helped me with codes, but I work in an out of the box role (I handle everything from authorizations, charge capture, credentialing, etc).