Wiki choosing the correct cpt code

chaimz

Best answers
under a category, for example excising a lesion, you will have one code for 5cm or and a similar one but that says 3cm or greater under the same category. Why, and how do you choose one when it seems to be saying the same thing?

Thank you.

I can't find the example, but here is a similar example:
in the integumentary system, under repair simple: codes 12004 vs 12015. Both descriptions are mirror images - 7.6cm to 12.5cm.

Can you explain this to me?

Thanks.

12004 is Simple repair of superficial wounds of scalp, neck, axillae, external genitalia, trun and/or extremities 7.6 cm to 12.5 cm.

12015 is Simple repair of superficial wounds of face, ears, eyelids, nose, lips and/or mucous membranes; 7.6cm to 12.5cm.

When the description is indented look to the code above that is not indenented, so for 12015 I would look at 12011 and read all the way to the semicolen then stop and complete the code with the words under 12015.

Hope this helps! :)

I am applying the method you suggest, and it really is helping out, but as to my original example I found it: 11620, where the nonindented cpt code is, it says 0.5 cm or less. the code the practice exam is using in the answer is 11626, over 4 cm.

The question says 0.5 cm were drawn out. Well, it looks like both cpt codes are correct, but why is the answer 11626 and not 11620? They appear to be saying the same thing.

Thanks.

are you certain the question states .5cm and not 5 cm? 11620 is for .5cm or less and 11626 is for over 4cm. You are not seeing the decimal point I think.