Wiki Choosing the Diagnosis for Lab Order for DM Patients

jonique.dietzen

Networker
Best answers
I need help with the proper diagnosis for the blood glucose testing for our DM patients.

Here is the situation:
The DM (type I or II) patient come into our office for their normal checkup. The MA performs a simple finger stick blood glucose test. But before they can perform it, the MA needs to order in within our EMR. When they place the order, they need to put in a diagnosis. They don't know if the DM is controlled or uncontrolled because the test hasn't been performed yet. Plus, an MA is not allowed to diagnose the patient.

What diagnosis should the MA use to place the order for the finger stick blood glucose test?

I think the most appropriate diagnosis would be:
V72.60 - Laboratory examination, unspecified (encounter for blood and urine testing)

But could we use:
V77.1 - Special screening for endocrine, nutritional, metabolic, and immunity disorders; diabetes mellitus

You cannot use a screening code since the patient is confirmed for the diagnosis. If the patient is on oral meds or insulin to control the diabetes the coding clinics tell us to code this as drug monitoring with V58.83 followed by the V58.67 or the V58.69.