Wiki "chronic illnesses" question

Networker
Best answers
Say patient is in for an office visit for a sore throat. He also has diabetes but this is not what he is in for. I was taught the diagnoses would be coded along with a code for the diabetes. Also hypertension would be an illness that would be coded like this. Are there anymore chronic illnesses that would fit in this category? Would COPD or spinal stenosis?
Thanks!

I always code COPD, asthma, hypertension, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, Diabetes. I also always code any condition that may influence the way that the presenting condition is treated. For instance, if they have are having SOB and an MI is ruled out, but the patient has a history of MI, I code 412 (old MI). Hope this helps.

Kristin

I always code COPD, asthma, hypertension, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, Diabetes. I also always code any condition that may influence the way that the presenting condition is treated. For instance, if they have are having SOB and an MI is ruled out, but the patient has a history of MI, I code 412 (old MI). Hope this helps.

Kristin
oh wow, that really helps. Thank you for the quick response.