• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Chronic Kidney Failure with Mass/Leasion

How would you code the diagnosis

• Total voters

dbryant

Best answers
I'm having a problem with the diagnosis for left Kidney Failure CPT 50250/LT
there is "no path report". A CT revealed a 3.0 cm mass/leasion on the left
kidney. I coded the diagnosis 585.9 (Chronic renal failure) and 236.91
(Neoplasm of uncertain behavior kidney & ureter), but unsure of the
236.91. You Urology coders I need your help)!:confused:

adevine

Best answers
Mass lesion, kidney

A mass is not the same as a neoplasm. I think you could add 593.89 or 593.9 for the mass in the kidney; until you get a pathology report or your physician specifically states that the mass is neoplastic (and how would he/she know without the path report?) you should not "give" this patient a neoplasm.:

bhong

Best answers
I think Adevine has a point, until you don't have a patho report and the doctor didn't say that it is a neoplasm, then you can't report it as a neoplasm. I would go for the 593.89 (Other specified disorder of kidney and ureter - Other) it's much safer..