Wiki Chronic vs Acute.

wynonna

True Blue
Best answers
If unspecified, do we bill acute or chronic?
At what point does an illness become chronic?
I see hypertension and diabetes being billed and I think of them as chronic
Would you all agree?

Acute vs. chronic is a clinical judgment - it isn't based on a specific amount of time and can't be determined for coding purposes unless the provider has documented it. If unspecified, the ICD-10 code book will direct you to the correct code - many codes, for example, have chronic in parentheses in which case that term will not affect the code choice and will be the default when it is unspecified.

Follow up for chronic on table of risk

So for moderate level 4, when we see 2 or more stable chronic illnesses, such as: Diabetes and Hypertension are being followed and monitored, would they be considered 2 chronic illnesses in this context for moderate table of risk?
Any input from other coders would be helpful.
Thank you!

So for moderate level 4, when we see 2 or more stable chronic illnesses, such as: Diabetes and Hypertension are being followed and monitored, would they be considered 2 chronic illnesses in this context for moderate table of risk?
Thank you!

I would consider those two chronic conditions.

Peace
@_*
http://www.wvupc.com/compliance/icd10/PPT/DMHTNICD10.pdf

Thank you!

Here is a definition. As a rule of thumb, the long-term daily medications a patient takes give a rough indication of their chronic diseases. Of course this would not include conditions they're not being medicated for - like obesity.

Last edited: