Wiki Cigna-Reimbursement for 'Staged' procedures using mod 58 breast reconstruction

rubisaavedra

Contributor
Best answers
Hi there,
does anyone have any idea if cigna reimburses 'less' for staged procedures using modifier 58 for breast reconstruction procedures following mastectomy?
I'm being told by the 'co-surgeon's' office that this is the case. Any input, would be appreciated. Thank you!

I couldn't find anything specific to Cigna about mod 58, but usually it pays at 100%.... however I did find this on Cigna's website:
https://cignaforhcp.cigna.com/publi...ia_breast_reconstruction_follow_mast_lump.pdf

If you go down to page 17, it says:
"Under this mandate, benefits for breast reconstruction services following mastectomy or lumpectomy must be provided to both men and women; a diagnosis of breast cancer cannot be required; and timing of breast reconstruction services is not a factor in coverage. In addition, the mandate prohibits any limitations to the number of prostheses or the length of time from the date of the mastectomy."

I interpret that to mean that the reconstruction (any stage of it) won't be considered global to the mastectomy, so I don't know that you'd need to use mod 58. I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into.

I couldn't find anything specific to Cigna about mod 58, but usually it pays at 100%.... however I did find this on Cigna's website:
https://cignaforhcp.cigna.com/publi...ia_breast_reconstruction_follow_mast_lump.pdf

If you go down to page 17, it says:
"Under this mandate, benefits for breast reconstruction services following mastectomy or lumpectomy must be provided to both men and women; a diagnosis of breast cancer cannot be required; and timing of breast reconstruction services is not a factor in coverage. In addition, the mandate prohibits any limitations to the number of prostheses or the length of time from the date of the mastectomy."

I interpret that to mean that the reconstruction (any stage of it) won't be considered global to the mastectomy, so I don't know that you'd need to use mod 58. I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into.

I agree, mod 58 should not reduce reimburse. If there is a cosurgeon, you should only expect the cosurgery reduction.