Wiki Claim denials from Blue Cross

jmm2kds

Contributor
Best answers
We have recently been receiving requests from Blue Cross Blue Shield for us to refund money to them. Our doctors cover the pulmonary patients on the floor at our local hospital, we bill for their visits. I have billed the codes 99222 and 99223 for consults that they have done. Blue cross is wanting the money back because they say only one code is allowed per admission. These are considered admission codes as well but they do not accept the original consult codes 99253 and 99254. We have appealed and sent our notes but they still are denying. Any suggestions on how to fight these? We currently have about 20 claims they are wanting money back on.

Julie

A lot of commercial insurances do not accept the admit code unless it is from the admitting physician. All other physicians would use 99231-99233 if the insurance does not accept the consult codes.

We have never had this issue with any other insurance, and they are just now recouping the money from last year. We cannot seem to get anyone at Anthem to help us with this situation.

We have never had this issue with any other insurance, and they are just now recouping the money from last year. We cannot seem to get anyone at Anthem to help us with this situation.
BX does not have to help you. Sharon has given you some good advice. If you are billing the initial inpatient codes incorrectly you may be getting a request from the other insurance companies some day.

Hi there, I would start by reviewing the payer's policy for these services to determine their guidelines. Unfortunately it may be that the payer conducted an audit and discovered the claims should not have been paid.

Are you billing both codes for the same day?
I'm actually surprised the other insurances are letting this go also. If these are for 2 different days I would try to send a corrected claim and change the 2nd date to a 99232 (99231, 99232, or 99233). We have gotten denials from the Ins comp before even if another Dr bills for the initial.

At the hospital we round at, they require an internist to see all patients. Now this particular hospital has started adding "staff internists" and then it becomes a situation of who can see the patient and bill it first. In those cases we know we need to write it off. But If it was just your doctors then I would see about changing the code to the subsequent care. Not sure if they will let you correct it this late if the claims are over a year old.

I think they actually have 3 years to look back and make any adjustments or take backs.

No I am not billing both codes, these are the two codes that we mostly use when consulting on patients, which can only be used once per admission per specialty. We are never the admitting physician but we are the Intensivist's for the hospital and consult on patients when requested. So you are saying we are not allowed to bill a consult code? I do not find anything in the policies that says we are not allowed to bill these codes.

No I am not billing both codes, these are the two codes that we mostly use when consulting on patients, which can only be used once per admission per specialty. We are never the admitting physician but we are the Intensivist's for the hospital and consult on patients when requested. So you are saying we are not allowed to bill a consult code? I do not find anything in the policies that says we are not allowed to bill these codes.
There are many commercial insurances that will NOT pay for consult codes. You would use the hospital followup codes.

If you are talking about inpatient consult codes 99251-99255, I will note 2 things:
1) A consult from a coding perspective has a very particular definition (3Rs) and most requests from another healthcare provider do not meet this coding definition.
2) Medicare (and now almost all other commercial carriers) will no longer pay for consult codes.
So few accept them that we don't even bother going through the process of determining if it meets the definition of consult and whether or not the carrier accepts them and no longer code them.
When Medicare stopped acknowledging consult codes, CMS advised to use 99221-99223 instead. The guidance further advised the principal physician of record to use -AI modifier. From https://www.cms.gov/outreach-and-ed...k-mln/mlnmattersarticles/downloads/MM6740.pdf:
"In the inpatient hospital setting and nursing facility setting, any physicians and qualified NPPs who perform an initial evaluation may bill an initial hospital care visit code (CPT code 99221 – 99223) or nursing facility care visit code (CPT 99304 – 99306), where appropriate."

This is specifically Medicare guidance. This is one of the rare situations where CPT guidance and CMS guidance do not line up 100%.
Some carriers follow the CMS guidance and permit multiple physicians to use the initial inpatient hospital 99221-99223. Other carriers will only pay 1 physician for the initial code. All other physicians (even different specialties, different practices, or meeting the coding definition of consult) must bill using inpatient followup 99231-99233.

Your tactic to fight the refund is to first determine whether they follow CMS guidance. If they do, send them the CMS guidance. If they do not, you should submit corrected claims from 99231-99233 and ask for the refund request be pended until the corrected claims are processed to determine the correct refund amount (which should be much less than they are currently requesting back).

Good luck!