Wiki Clarification of Study Guide

Rpollock623

Contributor
Best answers
I was inquiring on the rational of a study guide question as I am preparing for my CPC test.
per the study the guide the answer to the following question is 12032, 11403-51, 11403-51

Op Note: The pt has an excision of a painful cyst on midline upper back. The lesion has previously ruptured and has significant scarring. The pt also has a painful cyst on the left upper back. The patient is allergic to penicillin and takes asprin and Micardis for blood pressure. Informed consent was obtained from the pt. Risk of the procedure, including bleeding, infection, scarring and recurrence, were explained, and the pt acknowledged understanding of these potential complications.

procedure #1: Excision cyst midline back

The per-op measurement of the lesion was 1.1 cm. The proposed excision line were drawn. Anesthesia was delivered locally with 5.0 cc of 1% Xylocaine with epinephrine buffered 1:10. The site was cleansed with Betadine. The site was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. An incision was performed with a number 15 blade extending deep, through the dermis and into subcutaneous fat. This tissue was dissected from the pt with care to preserve histologic features. The cyst was not enucleated intact, but the contents and cyst wall remnants were extracted. The specimen was placed in a bottle of Formalin, labeled with the pt's identifying information. The specimen was sent for pathologic and/or margin analysis. The surgical site was undermined to a distance of 1.5 cm. Hemostasis was obtained by electrocautery and vessels ligated as necessary. In order to prevent dehiscence due to wound tension, an intermediate layer closure was performed. Three 4-0 Vicryl sutures were placed subcuticularly utilizing a simple inverted interrupted stitch. Four 4-0 nylon sutures were placed cutaneously utilizing a simple interrupted stitch. The final length of the surgical repair was 2.5 cm. The surgical site was cleansed with saline. A sterile dressing was applied utilizing the following: sterile petrolatum, gauze, and tape into place to form a pressure bandage. The patient tolerated the procedure well.

Procedure #2: Excision Cyst Left Upper Back

The preoperative measurement of the lesion was 1.5 cm. The proposed excision lines were drawn. Anesthesia was delivered locally with 6.0 of 1% Xylocaine with epinephrine buffered 1:10. The site was cleansed with Betadine. The site was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. An incision was performed with a number 15 blade extending deep, through the dermis and into the subcutaneous fat. This tissue was dissected from the pt with care to preserve histologic features. The cyst was enucleated in tact via sharp and blunt dissection. The specimen was placed in a bottle of Formalin, labeled with the pt's identifying information. the specimen was sent for pathologic and/or margin analysis. The surgical site was undemined to a distance of 1.0 cm. Hemostasis was obtained by electrocautery and vessels ligated as necessary. In order to prevent dehiscence due to wound tension, an intermediate layer closure was performed. Three 4-0 Vicryl sutures were placed subcuticularly utilizing a simple inverted interrupted stitch. Four 4-0 nylon sutures were placed cutaneously utilizing a simple interrupted stitch. The final length of the surgical repair was 2.9 cm. The surgical site was cleansed with saline. A sterile dressing was applied utilizing the following: sterile petrolatum, gauze, and tape into place to form a pressure bandage. The patient tolerated the procedure well.

I did take this question to my employer who is a certified CPC and CPC-H. Our office feels this coding should be 11406, 12032. Can you clarify and/or rationalize why the coding study guide would code this note as 12032, 11403-51, 11403-51. Thank you in advance for your help.

Could it be a misprint or something? IT appears that the second procedure was printed twice by mistake.
The correct codes should be as follows:

11403-51

It looks as if they are coding each procedure, and the repair, but if both cyst equal 5.4 cm in final length, and are both in the same trunk location, why wouldn't we bill a 11406 and 12032?

The first lesion is 1.5 cm and the second lesion is 1.1 equaling a total size of 2.6 which would be for 11403. Don't forget that you only add the pre-op lesion sizes and not the surgical site measurements.;)

the 11403 is due to the cyst being removed the 12032 is due to the closer.
but I am still confused at to why I would code a 11403 x2 and not the 11406?

the 11403 is due to the cyst being removed the 12032 is due to the closer.
but I am still confused at to why I would code a 11403 x2 and not the 11406?

You would only code 11403 once. The lesion is not big enough for the code 11406. You are only to add the size of the lesions. How do you get 5 cm for the two lesions in the op report?

You would only code 11403 once. The lesion is not big enough for the code 11406. You are only to add the size of the lesions. How do you get 5 cm for the two lesions in the op report?

My mentor advised me to add the final length. But I get it know thank you. :)

Rebecca,
When coding excisions you do not add the lesion sizes together to determine the excision code. The excision code is determined by excised diameter and if 2 different excisions were performed then 2 excision codes will be billed. The only time you would use only one excision code is if only one excision were performed encompassing both lesions, and still the size would be based on the excised diameter. For the repair, if it is the same type (ie. layered) in the same area (ie. trunk) then you add the length of the repairs together and bill only one repair code , the second excision code needs a 59, 51

Last edited:
Correct Study Guide

The CPT instructions for "Excision-Benign Lesions" says REPORT SEPARATELY EACH BENIGN LESION. The report definitely identifies two separate lesions: one on the midline upper back and one on the left upper back. The modifier 51 identifies there are separate sites.
The CPT instructions for "Repair Intermediate" states SUM OF LESIONS FOR EACH GROUP OF ANATOMIC SITES (the "mother code" for 12032 is 12031 which is trunk.) The 12032 designates the summed size.

The study guide is correct.
Thanks and I hope this helps. While you are studying, remember the topic headings give you lots of clues to how to report the codes.