Wiki Clarify count of views on new bilateral HIP cpt codes

raechelz

Networker
Best answers
Hello fellow coders: We are having a discussion in my office and need others thoughts:

example is : AP and Lateral done on both RT and LT hip I have 3 coders that all code it different. cpts are 73521 or 73522

1. Codes it as 3 views since the AP of both hips can be done at the same time and the laterals have to move to do each hip
2. Codes it as 4 views as the AP and Lateral are done on both hips
3. Codes it as 2 views as the AP and Lateral are 2 different types of views and the code already states bilateral

I would love your thoughts and or documentation to support whatever may be.

Thank you!

Raechel in Colorado

coding

Hi,

I think we should code it as 73521 that is xray hips bilateral with 2 views as ap and lateral these are considered as 2 views and 73521 is for bilateral hip xray. so I will go with option 3.

Hello fellow coders: We are having a discussion in my office and need others thoughts:

example is : AP and Lateral done on both RT and LT hip I have 3 coders that all code it different. cpts are 73521 or 73522

1. Codes it as 3 views since the AP of both hips can be done at the same time and the laterals have to move to do each hip
2. Codes it as 4 views as the AP and Lateral are done on both hips
3. Codes it as 2 views as the AP and Lateral are 2 different types of views and the code already states bilateral

I would love your thoughts and or documentation to support whatever may be.

Thank you!

Raechel in Colorado

It is 4 views. Each view of each hip is counted separately. Also if the pelvis is imaged, those views are counted separately.

https://www.acr.org/Advocacy/Econom...oding/Coding-Source-List/2015/Sep-Oct-2015/QA