Wiki Clinical Social Worker Coding

mkm1517

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Our primary care clinic just brought on board a clinical social worker. Do I code these encounters the same way I would code a social worker in the psychology clinic? The clinical social worker said the only difference between being a clinical and a counseling social worker is that a clinical social worker can actually diagnose patients - so are they performing the same services, just with the addition of using a diagnosis?

LCSW's don't bill E/M services. They have an entirely separate set of rules. There are also a minimal number of CPT codes that they use. Depending upon what type of service your counselor is performing, they normally have one session a week with a client (they like to refer to "patients" as clients, at least the ones I've dealt with) & that code is a 90806

The most commonly used codes for LCSWs are 90801, 90802, 90806, 90808, 90812, 90814, 90846, & 90847.

They also use a "DSM-IV" code as their ICD-9 diagnosis code. You always want to double check for specificity.

DSM doesn't always "crosswalk" to the correct ICD-9 codes. We just had this problem with Asperger's and Pervasive Developmental Disorder diagnoses are being coded as Rhett's. We just changed our EHR and the new EHR uses ICD-9. This has sent our clinicans into a panic. lol

There is also the possiblity that they will be providing Health and Behavior Assessments, which is different than treating the mental illness.

Telephone visits for LCSW. I think I'm correct that you still use the 90791 for diagnostic interview for individual.
Would you bill the same if it was a family interview husband and wife both on the line for grief counseling?

Telephone visits for LCSW. I think I'm correct that you still use the 90791 for diagnostic interview for individual.
Would you bill the same if it was a family interview husband and wife both on the line for grief counseling?

Since this thread is 9 yrs old, you might want to start a new thread.