Wiki Closed treatment of fracture without manipulation

Best answers
What criteria has to be met to be able to charge for a closed treatment of a fracture without manipulation? What constitutes treatment? Does the provider always have to stabilize the bone using a medical supply to justify the charge? Or would a plan for follow up care be enough to justify the charge? Does anyone have a check-list they go by when charging for this? Thanks.

Treatment of a closed fracture without manipulation usually is done with just placement of a cast or splint. Confirmation of the (usually) nondisplaced fracture is confirmed by x-ray and documented in the exam or record. There really isn't a requirement of what constitutes this type of fracture care other than confirming that there is a fracture and deciding to open a 90 day global period by using a nonmanipulative fracture CPT code. I can't imagine a scenario with a fresh fracture that wouldn't require some kind of stabilization, other than maybe a toe fracture that only required buddy taping and maybe a cast or post op shoe. Hope this info helps. (P.S. I need to update my signature, I am no longer chapter president!)