Wiki Closure of wound CPT

WHAUN

Contributor
Best answers
Hi all! I am needing some help in determining which CPT to use for this surgery. Patient is diabetic and one month status post partial amputation 3rd digit, RT foot for abscess
I'm stuck between:
just a debridement (11043)
a complex repair (13131) - tendon is showing, but only a simple closure was done
or a secondary closure (13160) - however, no dehiscence noted

I'm so confused!
Dr is calling procedure: "revision and possible closure of wound, right foot"

indications for surgery: diabetic gentleman w/ previous amputation of RT 3rd toe (previous amputation was at DIPJ). He has been performing daily dressing changes and has been on antibiotics for the most part since the procedure (1 month prior to this case). Wound is improving and he is here for further debridement, revision and probable closure of the wound.

Description of procedure: Revision and closure of wound, right third digit: Attention was directed toward the right surgical wound within the third interdigital space. Previous amputation of the third toe was noted. The wound was somewhat necrotic around the edges with healthy red granulation tissue at its base. No frank purulence noted. The excisional walls were freshened and excising all necrotic and irregular tissues. The necrotic tendon and other soft tissue structure were debrided leaving health skin and subcutaneous tissue envelope. The wound was flushed with copious amounts of saline with dilute betadine solution. The area was inspected for any suspicious tissues. None were found. The wound was then loosely closed using 30 and 4-0 prolene in horizontal and simple fashion. A layered dressing applied…"

Any help or insight to lead to me an answer is much appreciated! Thanks!