Wiki CMS NCCI Presumptive & Definitive Testing

Best answers
Hi, does anyone know of any NCCI updates or possible modifiers CMS may be implementing for presumptive/definitive testing? Our urine drug testing lab is in a pickle because we perform both for our clients & sometimes on same day (but different times). We typically use 59 or 91 depending on the payer, but I'm presuming CMS may be creating a new modifier?

Last edited:
Hi, I am also trying to get some guidance on this new edit. I bill for a CLIA Lab(81) and these UDTs are our bread and butter. It's my understanding that on Oct. 1 2023 CMS will change the indicator to "1" and that will be retroactive to July 1 2023. Under the right circumstances when both G0480-G0483 and 80305-80307, what would be the appropriate modifier to bypass the edit? We have talked about 91, 59, XE, XU. I am leaning towards 59 and XU but my bosses feel like it could be 91 or XE. I am very new to billing and coding. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. LOL Thanks!!!!

We are having this issue. We received denials from Aetna and Humana so far. Humana had already been billed with G0480-59 mod attached and they still denied stating based on the CMS guidelines. We cannot find anything about it on CMS or any other coding site. We will be resending the Aetna claims with 59 modifier but the 91 is also a good option. Lets stay in touch to help each other with this craziness. Thanks

Hi, I am also trying to get some guidance on this new edit. I bill for a CLIA Lab(81) and these UDTs are our bread and butter. It's my understanding that on Oct. 1 2023 CMS will change the indicator to "1" and that will be retroactive to July 1 2023. Under the right circumstances when both G0480-G0483 and 80305-80307, what would be the appropriate modifier to bypass the edit? We have talked about 91, 59, XE, XU. I am leaning towards 59 and XU but my bosses feel like it could be 91 or XE. I am very new to billing and coding. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. LOL Thanks!!!!
Have you received any information pertaining to this coding issue? I am in the same situation. I called Medicare, but the representative would only state that these codes are now bundled and look at the NCCI Edits.

Hi there, I think you've identified the problem with the update. You still need to show that the definitive test meets the requirements for unbundling with a modifier. 91 doesn't work because that applies to a repeat of the same test, which isn't happening here. A separate and distinct modifier might work but I could see a payer trying to argue that the definitive test isn't separate and distinct enough.

We are having this issue. We received denials from Aetna and Humana so far. Humana had already been billed with G0480-59 mod attached and they still denied stating based on the CMS guidelines. We cannot find anything about it on CMS or any other coding site. We will be resending the Aetna claims with 59 modifier but the 91 is also a good option. Lets stay in touch to help each other with this craziness. Thanks
Thank you for the info! This is helpful. So far, Medicare, AARP and UHC have rejected our claims so we are now holding these claims until further notice. We've been billing all other payers until we see start to denials. I've been debating on modifier 59 or XU but based on what you are stating, 59 might not be the correct one. Let's stay in touch on this and help each other out.

Have you received any information pertaining to this coding issue? I am in the same situation. I called Medicare, but the representative would only state that these codes are now bundled and look at the NCCI Edits.I

I've sent out an email to our MAC looking for direction, but nothing as of now.

Are you seeing denials on all Aetna plans or just replacement?

I am hoping to jump in here and possibly get some assistance. I bill for a CLIA Lab (POS 81) and they recently began billing for drug screening (80305-80307) and definitive testing (G0480-G0483). The presumptive codes are processing just fine but all the definitive claims are denying stating "Missing/Incomplete/Invalid Procedure Code(s)"... everything I have researched tells me the CPT's are still valid and that they can be billed by labs (duh). I am receiving this denial from several different payers. Any idea what i could be missing here??

This is why you are receiving denials:

Effective July 1, 2023, CMS implemented NCCI PTP edits between Column One codes 80305, 80306, and 80307 for presumptive test(s), and Column Two codes G0480 – G0483, and G0659 for definitive test(s). Currently, these edits cannot be bypassed using an NCCI modifier; however, CMS will change these edits to a CCMI of 1, which will allow for the use of a modifier to bypass the edits in those circumstances when billing these codes together is allowable. These circumstances are generally defined by the Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) in Local Coverage Determinations. This change to allow the use of a modifier will be retroactive to July 1, 2023; the Medicare claims processing systems will implement this change in the next quarterly update effective on October 1, 2023. In the meantime, if laboratories bill the MACs for these tests together on or after July 1, 2023, and believe that an NCCI modifier is appropriate, the lab should include the applicable modifier on the claim. The MACs will adjust those claims with dates of service between July 1, 2023 and October 1, 2023 to allow payment when an NCCI modifier was used. Alternatively, a laboratory may also choose to use the MAC appeals process if it does not wish to wait for the automatic adjustment to occur, or it can wait to submit its claims until CMS implements the change.

Source: https://www.cms.gov/medicare-medica...TP,– G0483, and G0659 for definitive test (s).

Fellow Coders: Please be advised that ACLA AND NILA have sent letters to CMS regarding this issue. ACLA Copy of letter attached. Below is a snippet:

ACLA has appreciated engagement with CMS on this matter, and we continue to urge the agency withdraw the NCCI edit policy. While CMS has offered to put a generic edit “modifier” in place on or after October 1 that would allow payment for both presumptive and definitive testing “in those circumstances when billing these codes together is allowable,” ACLA firmly believes that withdraw of the policy is essential to patient access. A modifier would lead to subjective determinations made by the Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) and state Medicaid agencies. Again, the association continues to urge CMS to withdraw the NCCI edit policy.

Fingers crossed that CMS will withdraw the edit policy!! 🤞

Attachments

• ACLA-Letter-to-ONDCP-on-NCCI-Edits-for-Drug-Testing.pdf
    156.9 KB · Views: 19
Fellow Coders: Please be advised that ACLA AND NILA have sent letters to CMS regarding this issue. ACLA Copy of letter attached. Below is a snippet:

ACLA has appreciated engagement with CMS on this matter, and we continue to urge the agency withdraw the NCCI edit policy. While CMS has offered to put a generic edit “modifier” in place on or after October 1 that would allow payment for both presumptive and definitive testing “in those circumstances when billing these codes together is allowable,” ACLA firmly believes that withdraw of the policy is essential to patient access. A modifier would lead to subjective determinations made by the Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) and state Medicaid agencies. Again, the association continues to urge CMS to withdraw the NCCI edit policy.

Fingers crossed that CMS will withdraw the edit policy!! 🤞
Thank you for posting the ACLA's letter. I hope it brings positive result.

Can you update this discussion if you do receive payments/denial for Aetna w/ mod 59 please?

BREAKING NEWS ALERT! CMS considered the concerns raised by the lab industry and decided to withdraw the NCCI PTP edits between Column One codes 80305, 80306, and 80307 for presumptive test(s), and Column Two codes G0480 – G0483, and G0659 for definitive test(s) while CMS continues to study the issue.

Thank you for the info! This is helpful. So far, Medicare, AARP and UHC have rejected our claims so we are now holding these claims until further notice. We've been billing all other payers until we see start to denials. I've been debating on modifier 59 or XU but based on what you are stating, 59 might not be the correct one. Let's stay in touch on this and help each other out.
I'm in the same boat, I stated on another post most of my urine tests are being run through some form of Medicare. I have tried no modifier on either 80307 and G0480. I have tried appending 59 to the 8 and the G code and they are still denying. I think it's time to start testing sending these claims back through or with my MAC I can correct the claim on the portal and avoid duplicated denials.
I agree we really need to stay on top of this issue as I'm not getting much help from my local MAC either. Select Health, Regence and Molina have NEVER paid for this code pair. Meanwhile the MAC and MAP's are now all denying the code pair also. My practice has now changed it's method of testing to run in a urine cup 80305, then billing either G0481, or G0482 and these are starting to deny the G codes as bundled.

I have not noticed reprocessing yet through our MAC, Noridian. I'm still very unclear as if this will be a process on their end or if we need to take action on our own.
I know I haven't yet either. From my understanding they are to reprocess claims starting from 07/01/2023 that were denied. I am growing concerns as to if we will need to take the action instead. We sent a few test claims out and are seeing how they will go.

I'm not as concerned with our MAC Noridian as I am with other MAP payers, BC, UHC, Humana, and Molina to name a few. They are the ones I think we'll have a fight with.

I'm not as concerned with our MAC Noridian as I am with other MAP payers, BC, UHC, Humana, and Molina to name a few. They are the ones I think we'll have a fight with.
We have sent out a few new test claims to keep track of and rebilled a few denied claims to keep track of. Hopefully we can see what happens. But I do think we are going to run into issues with the other payers for sure too. Because if you call they are still trying to say the same issue.

Has anyone had straight Medicare claims go through your clearinghouse without being rejected by the payer? If so, which clearinghouse do you use? Has anyone else had any new or denied claims paid on by any other payer since the edit has been removed? We use WayStar in which our straight Medicare claims are still being rejected by the payer. The only payers that we are currently billing for that we have not received any rejects or denials from is UHC MA, TriCare, PF1 (delete the G code), and Aetna.

Has anyone had straight Medicare claims go through your clearinghouse without being rejected by the payer? If so, which clearinghouse do you use? Has anyone else had any new or denied claims paid on by any other payer since the edit has been removed? We use WayStar in which our straight Medicare claims are still being rejected by the payer. The only payers that we are currently billing for that we have not received any rejects or denials from is UHC MA, TriCare, PF1 (delete the G code), and Aetna.
Yes! We use Insync. We also sent test claims out and they are approved and being processed for payment.

I have seen Anthem KY Medicaid pay these correctly, as well as, Medicare. But Aetna Better Health and Passport Molina are still denying for the same reason.

Does anyone have support to Appeal some of the Medicaids that are still denying for the billing of 80307 and the G-code together? KY is my state.

Last edited:
I am having all claims going to UHC Medicare rejecting on our clearinghouse Availity and also showing rejected at the payer. I have contacted them 3 times and at this point they want me to send in a claim project for them to investigate. If anyone finds a fix please post. Most of my other payers are accepting the claims atleast and hopefully will reprocess what was previously denied. I am in NC.

My manager asked me if we should be billing modifier QW with the G-code, as well as, modifier 59. Our pos is 11 that fits our CLIA. Has anyone else billed the G-code with modifiers 59 and QW?? Please help!!!

My manager asked me if we should be billing modifier QW with the G-code, as well as, modifier 59. Our pos is 11 that fits our CLIA. Has anyone else billed the G-code with modifiers 59 and QW?? Please help!!!

The UDT NCCI edit was deleted 10/1/23 retroactive to 7/1/23. No need to worry about modifier anymore!

EDIT: I'm the MCD/MCO guru at my company and we're still dealing with a ton of MCDs and MCOs that haven't updated their edits yet. It's frustrating because we've been holding some of these claims for 3 months now.

The UDT NCCI edit was deleted 10/1/23 retroactive to 7/1/23. No need to worry about modifier anymore!

EDIT: I'm the MCD/MCO guru at my company and we're still dealing with a ton of MCDs and MCOs that haven't updated their edits yet. It's frustrating because we've been holding some of these claims for 3 months now.
So doing the modifier 59 for the G-code is fine still?

Has anyone seen any payments from reprocessing? As well as, getting paid for the Medicaids yet? My Medicaid payers are still denying for same thing. The NCCI Medicaid guidelines last I was told was to update theirs.

Has anyone seen any payments from reprocessing? As well as, getting paid for the Medicaids yet? My Medicaid payers are still denying for same thing. The NCCI Medicaid guidelines last I was told was to update theirs.
I don't have KY Medicaid assigned to me at work, but according to the person who does KY the only one that's paying right now is Humana. We're still holding our KY Medicaid claims so I'm going to assume that we're not getting paid on our test claims either.

I've had a bit better luck with mine so far regarding the Medicaids, it's the MCOs I'm waiting on now (looking at you, UCare!). I sometimes wish the states would come down harder on the MCOs not doing what they're supposed to do. They create policies and then never enforce them, but that's a rant for another day.

Has anyone in Palmetto GBA MAC (NC) seen the updated Billing and Coding Article - Urine Drug Testing (A56915). It was revised 11/12/2023 and now includes this...

If a presumptive screen and definitive drug test are billed the same date of service after July 1, 2023 and medical
necessity for definitive testing is met as stated in L34645 then the subsequent service is subject to NCCI edits and an
appropriate NCCI modifier such as XE or XU should be added to the subsequent drug testing code billed.

This isn't reflected in the Q4 NCCI edits file. I'm torn between XE or XU and do we go ahead and use this for all payers that follow Medicare guidelines.

Open to comments! :)

Attachments

• A56915_20231127.pdf
    392.7 KB · Views: 3
Has anyone in Palmetto GBA MAC (NC) seen the updated Billing and Coding Article - Urine Drug Testing (A56915). It was revised 11/12/2023 and now includes this...

If a presumptive screen and definitive drug test are billed the same date of service after July 1, 2023 and medical
necessity for definitive testing is met as stated in L34645 then the subsequent service is subject to NCCI edits and an
appropriate NCCI modifier such as XE or XU should be added to the subsequent drug testing code billed.

This isn't reflected in the Q4 NCCI edits file. I'm torn between XE or XU and do we go ahead and use this for all payers that follow Medicare guidelines.

Open to comments! :)
Posted 11/30/2023: Under CPT/HCPCS Modifiers Group 1 Codes removed XE and XU modifiers. Under Coding Guidelines, removed statement: If a presumptive screen and definitive drug test are billed the same date of service after July 1, 2023 and medical necessity for definitive testing is met as stated in L34645 then the subsequent service is subject to NCCI edits and an appropriate NCCI modifier such as XE or XU should be added to the subsequent drug testing code billed.

From the revision history on the article A56915. Emphasis added.