Wiki Co-surgery - general surgeon

maddalynni

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

A patient presented in the ED 34 weeks pregnant. It was determined she had internal bleeding. The OB doctor started a c-section with a general surgeon present, the baby was delivered while the general surgeon contained the bleeding. It was determined that the patient had a ruptured splenic artery so a vascular surgeon stood by and after the baby was delivered, he repaired the splenic artery and did a splenectomy. The general surgeon was listed as a co-surgeon for the c-section and the repair of the artery and splenectomy. Will a modifier 62 be used for all surgeons with appropriate procedure codes and will the general surgeon be billing for both surgeries assuming proper documentation is established? All co-surgeons have to do their own procedure note for their part of the surgeries, correct?

Nobody out there can help me on this question???

I does not sound like co surgery time it sounds like two different providers performing two different procedures. Bill the c-section to that provider and the repair and splenectomy to the other. Co surgery is where one surgeon starts the procedure and the other finishes the same procedure.

Looks like it was 3 practitioners? OB, General Surgeon and a vascular surgeon? General Surgeon was acting more like an assistant surgeon to the OB physician. I'd be curious if you can bill with the 80 modifier as he was there was bleeding control which was over and above what is normally included in a standard C-section.

Last edited: