Wiki Code 29999

Janel1972

New
Best answers
Has anyone had issues or kickback from an ortho surgeon consistently billing CPT 29999 at a very high rate? I am trying to get my provider to use more specific codes for his procedures, but he keeps using this and I am afraid it will cause an audit. Help...

Hi Janel1972,
Any unlisted CPT are denied by most payers& will not cover it. The provider in his or her documentation should of course describe treatment procedure then state it is closer to almost another CPT in the block of 299 or 298 codes which define it the best. So this is treatment on ankle arthrodesis? Does the documentation go into limited29897 or extensive29898 or repair defect in the talus 29891 or a plantar fasciotomy29893 or removing a loose body there in ankle 29894? I d give him copy of this CPT page which describe. Also sometimes the provider does not know the exact CPT so you may have to help him or her.
I hope helped you
Lady T

It depends on why they are using it. What is their subspecialty?
Coding 29999 when it is appropriate is not cause for concern. However, these have to be tracked and monitored before and after the claim to make sure they are correctly reported, covered, and there are requirements to send op notes, FAX PWK (Medicare) and other issues that come up with this. Usually payment is delayed as well.

Some orthopedic providers may be highly specialized in a certain area such as hip arthroscopy. There are some procedures which have no CPT code and 29999 would be expected. In this example, psoas release, glute repair, and capsular plication would all be unlisted. Now, some of those may not be separately reportable with other hip scope codes (e.g.; 29914, 29916, 29915) or may be considered incidental to a greater procedure or experimental.

There are also "newer" procedures being done on other joints that may not have a CPT code.

What a provider should not do is use an unlisted code when there is a CPT code established for the procedure, to get around the fact that they don't "like" the reimbursement for an established CPT, or to unbundle parts that would normally be inclusive to other CPT.
Also, only one unlisted code can be reported per anatomic area per operative session.

There are many open orthopedic proedures which might require an unlisted code as well. You have to work with your provider and practice to establish a policy and procedure for this. If they have a practice which will require high usage of unlisted codes, a procedure needs to be in place. In some cases, this might even mean working with payers ahead of time, and creating fees and code sets within the practice management system so they get coded correctly.