Wiki Code sequence

Best answers
Need help with the sequence of the following diagnoses: dehydration and pleural effusion from congestive heart failure/reason for admission/, primary thrombocytopenia with petechial hemorrhage, urinary tract infection and type II diabetes. Here is what I did- 428.0, 511.9, 276.51, 287.30, 599.0, 250.00. Still I'm not sure about dehydration-shall I code 276.51 first?

I would code the dehydration (273.51) and pleural effusion (511.9) first since that is the reason for the encounter (if I'm reading your note correctly). Then the CHF, as it is the underlying etiology for the dehydration and pleural effusion. The all the rest.

Hope this helps!

Medicare

Ok, this is where I get confused..In the Billing training book it states you can only bill Medicare with one Diagnoses, so what do you do if there are more than one as in the example above? Is it one dx per CPT?

Ok, this is where I get confused..In the Billing training book it states you can only bill Medicare with one Diagnoses, so what do you do if there are more than one as in the example above? Is it one dx per CPT?

who issued this training book?
you can bill more than one diagnosis per CPT for Medicare (and all the payers I've come across).

If that's the case then why does the 1500 form have 4 places for Dxs?

Ben,
As of Jan1, 2012 there are 12 dx spots on the 1500 electronic and paper claims.
And really where did the billing training manual come from, of course you may bill more than 1 dx code to Medicare. You can however link only 4 dx codes any one CPT or HCPCII code.

I would code the dehydration (273.51) and pleural effusion (511.9) first since that is the reason for the encounter (if I'm reading your note correctly). Then the CHF, as it is the underlying etiology for the dehydration and pleural effusion. The all the rest.

Hope this helps!

dehydration should code as 276.51