Wiki Coder Abstractor I

jthunders

Best answers
I just recently accepted a Coder Abstractor I position from a local hospital, and want to be as prepared as possible. Quick history: took AAPC's Anatomy & Medical Terminology online courses last year, and earned my CPC-H certificate in November. I then volunteered at another local hospital in the Medical Records Dept. to gain some valuable coding experience.

So what advice would fellow coders have for me regarding any additional preparation heading into the new job. Thanks...

Craig

Congratulations Craig,
I currently volunteer at a local hospital in hopes of getting a coding position. Your post gives me hope that this hard work will eventually pay off! I wish you much success and good luck.

Kasenya

Congrats on landing a job! You will probably spend your first week or so learning their software, taking orientation course, etc.

The best thing you can do to help yourself is review your coding books...knowing "how to code" outside of whatever software/encoder system your new employer is using will help you learn that system quicker. Most especially - if you will be doing E&M coding, review the levels in your CPT book, and get familiar with using an audit tool.

Best of luck!
:eek:

Congratulations on your new position. Hard work does pay off, just have to be patient.

Review your ICD-9 guidelines as well as your CPT guidelines.