Wiki coding 59025 and an e/m

nsal223

New
Best answers
Hello all,
I code for an MFM practice and I am finding that the docs are billing for a 59025 and a 99212. An example in which they are doing this is a pt coming in with chronic HTN and the BP reading is elevated. I do not feel right coding the e/m as the pt is having the nst due to the chronic htn. Does anyone out there have any input? Thank you in advance.
Nicole

If the NST was not scheduled and they decided to do it at the appt based on her BP, then they can bill that. If the NST was already scheduled, then I wouldn't bill the e&m unless there was another justifiable reason.

Hi,
We are having the same issue,. Thanks @Cmama12, that makes sense.

I have question that I'm hoping y'all can help with. We are charging a "room" fee with revenue code 761 (treatment room), and the insurances require that we attach a CPT code to that revenue code. If they come in for an NST I will put the CPT code 59025, but if they just come in for FHM and have labs done in addition, I put a CPT code for one of the labs, as the FHM charge doesn't have a CPT code. Is this right?

Thoughts?

Hi,
We are having the same issue,. Thanks @Cmama12, that makes sense.

I have question that I'm hoping y'all can help with. We are charging a "room" fee with revenue code 761 (treatment room), and the insurances require that we attach a CPT code to that revenue code. If they come in for an NST I will put the CPT code 59025, but if they just come in for FHM and have labs done in addition, I put a CPT code for one of the labs, as the FHM charge doesn't have a CPT code. Is this right?

Thoughts?
I was wondering the same thing. We put the person in observation and perform the stress test. My opinion is we should not be putting the patient in observation and just billing the NST. Any input is appreciated.