Wiki Coding a dermitological complication

jackiemal

Networker
Best answers
I was wondering how to code this:

Patient comes in to urgent care center. He had a dermatologist remove a mole a few days prior and absorbable sutures were used to close the wound. Last night the wound opened up and was bleeding and is still bleeding this morning. Our provider used 2 sutures to close the wound.
Would I use S01.80XD (Unspecified open wound of other part of head, subsequent) and L76.21 (Postprocedural hemorrhage of skin and subcutaneous tissue following a dermatologic procedure)? Am I correct in thinking it would be a subsequent visit? Are there better codes I should be using for this? This is going to Medicare.

Thank you,
Jackie

Youbwill code a dehiscence of incision it will be a T code for complication and you will us the 7th character A since this is the initial active treatment of the complication.

Disruption

Youbwill code a dehiscence of incision it will be a T code for complication and you will us the 7th character A since this is the initial active treatment of the complication.

I was looking at T81.31XA (Disruption of external operation (surgical) wound, not elsewhere classified, initial encounter) but it says that is a facility code if I'm reading it right. So I didn't think I can use that because we can't use facility codes. Am I reading it wrong?