Wiki Coding a wound now healing from Cellulitis-Why type of wound is it?? Need Help!

LLBS29XX

Best answers
I have a patient that was diagnosed with cellulitis (unknown origin) of the arm. Was admitted, started on antibiotics, had I&D and tha wound vac applied. Now I have to recert for Home Health and the patient is no longer on antibiotics, wound vac d/c and wound is healing nicely. What type of wound is it now? A non-pressure ulcer? It is not a surgical wound by Home Health standards (I&D not surgical) so would it be A) Non-pressure Ulcer or B) Now just aftercare code? THANKS for any help!:confused:

Was there a wound associated with the cellulitis prior to the I & D? If so it would remain the previous wound (surgical, ulcer, etc.) If the wound was debrided, how deep was the debridement? I work in home health and do oasis reviews. From what I was taught, in oasis eyes a debridement isn't considered a surgical wound but depending on the depth it can be coded to aftercare of surgery.

The patient was cutting some bushes a couple of days before and they suspect it was from that but they never were sure. I get confused, as since it was a complication, wound vac and I& D to begin with I did not code the SOC as "aftercare". So now since he is doing much better, the arm has healthy pink skin closing the wound and they want to do the first recert for one more time I am stumped. It is not a surgical since it was an I&D. At this point we are just watching for any complications that may crop up and now are applying wet to dry dressing. Can you code a recert as "aftercare" at this point? Thanks so much. I need to get this coded and it is really so simple but I just can't see it.