Wiki Coding and Billing for Mental Health

Best answers
I am working with a Mental and behavioral health agency that has started to expand into the private insurance world. This is my first time working in mental health and i'm not overly familiar with the coding. Up till recently their primary insurance they were billing was our state medicaid, Mainecare, which has its own set of codes and rules. we are now in network with Aetna, Anthem, Medicare and United Behavioral Health. I am looking for some help with what codes we should be using for our clinical social workers who see our clients for outpatient mental health as well as our psychiatrists who handle medication management for our clients and finally psychologist who does intellectual testing, adaptive testing and neuro-behavioral assessments. i am trying to determine what the best coding to use in order to get reimbursed from these private insurances. Also, i know the United Behavioral health handles Mental health benefits for a number of private insurances including UHC, Harvard Pilgrim, UMR and Mailhandlers. does any have a definitive list of all insurances that they handle? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I did find those codes and have been using them. also we have been using the office visits E/m codes for the Psychiatrists. 99212 thru 99215 For the medication review visits. So for the initial visits with our Pyschiatrist we bill for 2 hours. one hour is billed is Neurobehavioral status exam, which is how we billed it to state medicaid and it is paid. and the second hour is billed as H2010 which is again the medicaid code. Should be using the 90791 in place H2010? or should we use the initial evaluation codes 99202 thru 99205?

Last edited: