Wiki Coding Anorexia and Gastroparesis

fredcpc

Guru
Best answers
I have a Doctor's Impression statement that reads, "Anorexia and Gastropareis." And Gastroparesis can be a cause of Anorexia. So is the "and" enough to Code First the Anorexia then the Gastropareis? Or, do we code them completely separate? :eek:

I normally code by how my doctor states his impression: "anorexia and gastroparesis" vs "gastroparesis due to anorexia". Under Gastroparesis, it says "code first underlying disease". In this scenario, you would code the same either way.

So, anorexia would be your first dx, and gastroparesis your second.

You cannot assume the anorexia is the underlying cause of the gastroparesis. I agree the gastroparesis code is a secondary code however the physician must document the underlying disease for us. You will need to query the physician to determine the correct codes for this scenario. Or is there anything documented in his note other than just the impression that will provise this information.

Coding Anorexia and Gastroparesis.

I coded Anorexia with Gastroparesis secondary. It was the only way considering the amount of documentation that I had. Happy New Year to you both. :D;)