Wiki Coding Bleeding Complications

OPENSHAW

Guru
Best answers
I am trying to identify how bleeding complications that occur around the femoral artery access site near the groin during percutaneous procedures are coded. To provide some background, these complications occur when the back wall of the femoral artery is punctured when the physician is trying to get access to the vessel, resulting in bleeding. While the bleeding begins after the initial puncture, the bleed may not be noticed until the end of the procedure or the next day.

Specifically trying to identify these complications during the following interventional cardiology procedures: transcatheter aortic valve replacement, endovascular aneurysm repair, percutaneous VADs (Impella), balloon pump, and PCIs. Please let me know if any further clarification is necessary.

I would like to know what codes, especially ICD-9/10 diagnosis/procedure codes and any CPT codes, are used to identify these complications during a patient's hospital stay (as well as any other codes).

THANK YOU!

Hi,

In terms of ICD, I would suggest

ICD 9: 998.11 - Hemorrhage complicating a procedure

ICD 10: I97.618 - Postprocedural hemorrhage and hematoma of a circulatory system organ or structure following other circulatory system procedure

I97.62 - Postprocedural hemorrhage and hematoma of a circulatory system organ or structure following other procedure

I97.610 - Postprocedural hemorrhage and hematoma of a circulatory system organ or structure following a cardiac catheterization

Hope this helps. :)

VJ