Wiki Coding books -2013 vs 2014

bearybubba2008

Networker
Best answers
I currently work for a family practice in PA, and we are looking at what coding books we would need for 2014. I think I saw on these forums that there are not going to be any changes with the ICD-9CM since ICD-10 is coming out next year, so is it ok to not get new diagnosis code books for next year? And I also wanted to know if it was ok to get the Current Procedural Coding Expert coding book instead of a regular CPT book.
My boss had a call from someone selling the coding books for next year and told her that we needed to have updated books in case we were ever audited. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks so much!!!!

We do not yet know if a new 2014 book is required for ICD-9 you did not need a 2013 and there were no proposed changes for 2014, however the outcome of the April meeting has not yet been made public. we should know by the first week of July. As far the Coders Desk reference it is an excellent refernce book and one I highly recommend but not as a substitute for the CPT, an additional book only. You must always have a copy of the most current code set, the 2012 ICD-9 Cm is the most current code set at this time, but you do need the 2013 CPT and HCPCS and you will need the 2014 CPT and HCPCs it is just not known yet if you will need a 2014 ICD-9 CM, although I do not think so.