Wiki Coding books for the CPC exam

KhamSe

Best answers
I will be taking my exam in 2 weeks and just want to know if these books are ok or should I get the newer version. I have CPT 2015 AMA, 2015 HCPCS Level 2, and 2016 ICD-10-CM and also read somewhere that 2015 ICD-10 is more useful than 2016 so just want to make sure as I don't want to bomb the exam on that day. Thanks!

Current year is necessary for CPT and HCPCS. You could probably survive with the previous year HCPCS is that's the only option vs not having a book. You will be guaranteed to fail if you use the wrong year CPT book. ICD-10-CM had no changes in 2016 so you can still use the 2015 book for that portion. Save your money for ICD-10-CM 2017 which will be the first version with major changes since there has been a code freeze for years.

Thanks for the fast response and so I'll need to purchase 2016 CPT asap since the exam is in 2 weeks. What CPT book would you suggest getting, is there a certain one? As of now the only one I have is 2015 Standard edition CPT AMA.
Current year is necessary for CPT and HCPCS. You could probably survive with the previous year HCPCS is that's the only option vs not having a book. You will be guaranteed to fail if you use the wrong year CPT book. ICD-10-CM had no changes in 2016 so you can still use the 2015 book for that portion. Save your money for ICD-10-CM 2017 which will be the first version with major changes since there has been a code freeze for years.

Most people prefer the AMA CPT Professional version since its easier to keep open and flip through pages since its spiral bound. Also the pages are in color vs b&w. Outside of AMA Standard and professional, No other versions or publishers are allowed for CPT book.