Wiki Coding Chest X-rays for Intubation

cpc2007

Guru
Best answers
I was wondering if someone could provide some definitive guidance on coding chest x-rays for intubation or to check the placement of a new chest tube or endotracheal tube. I am a diagnostic radiology coder, and I usually try to use the reason for intubation as my primary diagnosis, but sometimes there is no information provided or the patient is post-op and intubated as a routine part of that process. In the absence of a specific reason for intubation (i.e., respiratory failure, CHF, etc.), can we use V58.82 as a diagnosis for an endotracheal or chest tube? This code refers to fitting of non-vascular catheters, but I wasn't sure if the breathing tube would fall under this code. Any help is appreciated!

I'd also suggest 786.9 resp/chest symptoms. The explanation I was given is that there is a reason for the et/chest tube being there even if it isn't dictated. My trainer said that it is not normal for people to have tubes in them : )

I'd also suggest 786.9 resp/chest symptoms. The explanation I was given is that there is a reason for the et/chest tube being there even if it isn't dictated. My trainer said that it is not normal for people to have tubes in them : )

NO! You may not use this code unless this is documented. You cannot infer symptoms that are not stated. A V55 code is not appropriate either as this is not an artificial opening. Look at V58.49 and maybe a V53 code.