Coding Clinic notations in ICD-9

lorig

Best answers
I was looking up a code for ADHD, 314.01, and noticed a reference for "Coding Clinic: 1997, Q1, P8-9". What does this mean? From what I can tell, it is an American Hospital Association Coding Clinic guideline, but when I looked further, I saw that it is only mentioned on some ICD-9 codes. Does anyone have any information about this or can you refer me to a website for specific information on these guidelines? I don't remember ever discussing this in class. I tried googling it, but was not able to find anything that answered my question. Thank you!

AHA coding clinics are a quarterly publication that addresses coding issues and concerns. Their responses are widely accepted as the correct way to code a given scenario. They often include a short "lesson" regarding certain topics followed by submitted questions from subscribers along with the answer from the AHA. The reference you cited means to look in the 1st quarter 1997 issue on page 8-9 for a question and answer regarding the use of code 314.01. This may not be an issue you have and may answer nothing for you and then again it may be just what you were looking for. Coding clinics may be purchased thru the AHA and are not inexpensive.

Thank you for your response. Is there a link where I can read that particular issue? We are having difficulty getting paid for ADHD code. Payer tells us to send to mental health, mental health tells us to send to payer. Any suggestions for that? The code is 314.01.

Can you gain access to the AHA site without purchasing? I note that you state that they are not inexpensive and cost would definitely be an issue.

Thank you again for whatever assistance you can give me.

You cannot read these for free. you can however order a single back issue, the cost use to be around $80 for a single back issue. If you goolge AHA Coding Clinic you should be able to find the AHA store which will give you the ordering website and the 800 number.