Wiki Coding degenerative tears of shoulder ligaments

Gran1234

Best answers
I could use some advise on coding the shoulder ligaments, when not injury related. Example: supraspinatus, subscapularis, and infraspinatus tendon. I can only locate "S" injury codes.
Thanks,
Cheryl

we have only limited non-traumatic tear code. I think we shouldn't need to check trauma or non trauma. For Strain - Muscle or tendon rupture or tear, and For Sprain - ligament tear. if you go ahead these information its directly leads injury Chapters.

Please let me know if you have additional information. kindly share it for understanding.

Codes available for these non-traumatic procedures

23410 - Repair of ruptured musculotendinous cuff (eg, rotator cuff) open; acute
23412 - Repair of ruptured musculotendinous cuff (eg, rotator cuff) open; chronic
23400 - Scapulopexy (eg, Sprengels deformity or for paralysis)
23190 - Ostectomy of scapula, partial (eg, superior medial angle)
23020 - Capsular contracture release (eg, Sever type procedure)
23450 - Capsulorrhaphy, anterior; Putti-Platt procedure or Magnuson type operation
23455 - Capsulorrhaphy, anterior; with labral repair (eg, Bankart procedure)
23465 - Capsulorrhaphy, glenohumeral joint, posterior, with or without bone block
23460 - Capsulorrhaphy, anterior, any type; with bone block
23462 - Capsulorrhaphy, anterior, any type; with coracoid process transfer
23410 - Repair of ruptured musculotendinous cuff (eg, rotator cuff) open; acute
23412 - Repair of ruptured musculotendinous cuff (eg, rotator cuff) open; chronic
23420 - Reconstruction of complete shoulder (rotator) cuff avulsion, chronic (includes acromioplasty)

These do not specify trauma related, so they are not specific to trauma.

Have you looked at the M75.10*? The four muscles that make up the rotator cuff are the supraspinatus muscle, the infraspinatus muscle, teres minor muscle, and the subscapularis muscle.

Last edited:
Can anyone clarify my question please? Above example only we can navigate directly from Index of ICD 10 book. If I go ahead for muscle or ligament related tear which is because of non-traumatic, how will I move further to code. It is directly leads to injury codes.

Shall I Proceed the traumatic Codes Sprain and Strain from traumatic as of Starting with S series codes.

Can anyone clarify my question please? Above example only we can navigate directly from Index of ICD 10 book. If I go ahead for muscle or ligament related tear which is because of non-traumatic, how will I move further to code. It is directly leads to injury codes.

Shall I Proceed the traumatic Codes Sprain and Strain from traumatic as of Starting with S series codes.

In the examples I gave above you can look them up seeing tear-subscapularis or tear-rotator cuff. There, you are given 'M' codes, which are nontraumatic.

Last edited: