Wiki Coding Essential hypertension with nephrosclerosis...

Coder_Rick

Best answers
Hello,

Dr had documented Essential hypertension with Nephrosclerosis, not too sure how to code this. I was looking at 403.90 from the tables but it seemed a little confusing. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

As far as i can see 403.90 is the only correct code for this scenario.

Renal sclerosis is a 587 code, you combine the chronic kidney disease to the HTN and use a 403 code only when the kidney disease is coded with a 585. So unless the provider documents that the HTN is due to the renal sclerosis which is a 405 code., you code the 401 and the 587

Sorry you are correct I did forget that they added in 587 a few years back. But interesting note, ICD-10 CM is combined only when it is chronic kidney disease. Kind of a step back, but it is possible they will change that too. Thank you for the correction, I need a kick in the head every now and then :)
My only problem is there is really no 403 code that looks good with the 587 and they all need a 585 code added. The unspecified refers to the 585.9. they changed the parameters without giving a viable code!

renal sclerosis

I have documentation of CKD stage 2 with a h/o renal sclerosis and no documentation of HTN. Would you code the 587 and the 585.2 or is the sclerosis in the CKD 2?