Wiki Coding for a Repeat PAP (abnormal)

Lbooth110

Contributor
Best answers
Clarification........

I 've always billed out a E&M "ONLY" for a repeat pap with the dx of ascus or whatever abnormal pap dx code maybe. I 'm at a new office and they're stating that they bill a 88143 (for the pap) along with the E&M for the pt coming in for a 3-6 month repeat pap. I have no problem billing it out this way IF, it is the correct way. What is your thought on this?

I need clarification/proof (in writting) to show which way is the correct way to code a repeat pap? Does ACOG have any info on this type of visit?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

You are correct, you can not report anything other then an E/M for a repeat pap. Re-paps due to abnormal findings are no longer classified as "screening". I can't site guidelines at this time, but if you have access to the internet, Google your question and your bound to find the info you need.

Clarification........

I 've always billed out a E&M "ONLY" for a repeat pap with the dx of ascus or whatever abnormal pap dx code maybe. I 'm at a new office and they're stating that they bill a 88143 (for the pap) along with the E&M for the pt coming in for a 3-6 month repeat pap. I have no problem billing it out this way IF, it is the correct way. What is your thought on this?

I need clarification/proof (in writting) to show which way is the correct way to code a repeat pap? Does ACOG have any info on this type of visit?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa
The 88143 is a code for the lab to use not for the physician office to use to perform the pap collection. You are correct it is an office encounter.