Wiki Coding for chronic conditions

wynonna

True Blue
Best answers
From https://www.ngsmedicare.com/web/ngs...id=2072831&lob=96664&state=97224&region=93623
ngsmedicare is my MAC for Massachusetts.
From Evaluation and Management, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
"Question: The patient has a chronic condition. The condition remains the same, but they are not at goal. How do I count this?
Answer: This would fall into the Moderate category of the number and complexity of problems addressed. Chronic illness with exacerbation, progression or side effects of treatment includes a patient who is not at goal. Documentation would include the goal and the patient’s status toward that goal."

Hello coders: Let's say a patient has chronic sinusitis, allergies, or chronic otitis media, and OTC have not been helping.
Have you all been counting problems such as these under chronic illness worsening, progressing or side effects of treatment, or not at goal?

I'm looking for verification from other coders since I'm getting ready to send this info to my providers and I want to be sure this is accepted practice for E/M coding. This would mean more level 4's if Rx management is also done. So I want to be sure of guidelines. Just looking for confirmation from other coders that we are on the same page? Do you interpret this the same way I do?