Wiki Coding for Physician Observation visits

dkspurlock

Best answers
I have the following scenario I need help on.

The patient was inpatient in the psychiatric unit and experienced Bradycardia. They took her out of the unit and put her in Observation at 6:00 pm so the provider did not see the patient until the following day.
The patient was seen and cleared to go back to the unit by the provider.

How would you code the visit by the provider? If you have the backup to support your answer please let me know where you found it. I'm am in an audit disagreement about this. I just need clarification either way.

Thanks!

I have the following scenario I need help on.

The patient was inpatient in the psychiatric unit and experienced Bradycardia. They took her out of the unit and put her in Observation at 6:00 pm so the provider did not see the patient until the following day.
The patient was seen and cleared to go back to the unit by the provider.

How would you code the visit by the provider? If you have the backup to support your answer please let me know where you found it. I'm am in an audit disagreement about this. I just need clarification either way.

Thanks!

Was the patient formally discharged/transferred from the psych unit and admitted to a medical unit overnight? You're probably going to end up in an interrupted stay-type situation. Are there more details you can provide?

This patient was an inpatient in the psychiatric unit. After becoming ill, he was moved to observation in med surg, seen by the physician the following day, then sent back to the psychiatric unit. Patients are not discharged from the unit unless it has been 3 days since moving to the floor. I bill for the hospitalist only. If he didn't see the patient until the next day, wouldn't that be 'initial observation'?

thanks for the help