Wiki Coding for sacroplasty

DEEJAYHIC

Best answers
Hi,

I understand the CPT code for a sacroplasty will not be available until 2010. My question is what code(s) can we use in the meantime?

Thank you,

Actually I believe a code will be available in July 2009. Don't remember what it is but probably a Cat III code. In the meantime it's unlisted.

Diane Huston, CPC,RCC

Question: My doctor is doing this new procedure called sacroplasty. I've been told to use several codes including a lumbar spine fusion code but this doesn't seem right. Can you please help?

Answer: You're in luck! Two new spine Category III codes that describe a sacroplasty were released by the AMA on January 1, 2009 and became effective July 1, 2009. Prior to July 1, 2009 you should have used an unlisted code.

Medicare announced in the July 2009 Update to the Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Payment System; Summary of Payment Policy Changes that 0200T and 0201T are separately reimbursable in an ASC setting.

A third Category III code for posterior vertebral joint arthroplasty also became effective July 1, 2009. Please see the table below for a summary of the new Category III codes.

Category III Codes 0200T and 0201T

http://www.karenzupko.com/resources/codingcoach/cc_neuroarchive_2009.html