Wiki Coding for Trauma

jerrysue

New
Best answers
I bill for Radiologist across the country and a question has come up on the correct code to use for "trauma". If the report only indicates "trauma" for the reason for the exam and the exam itself is negative, what is the correct diagnosis code to use? I have been told 2 different options and am curious as to other coding opinions.

Thank you

Possibly starting with three digit 958 ICD-9

I bill for Radiologist across the country and a question has come up on the correct code to use for "trauma". If the report only indicates "trauma" for the reason for the exam and the exam itself is negative, what is the correct diagnosis code to use? I have been told 2 different options and am curious as to other coding opinions.

Thank you

This would list some complications of trauma, but still may not be what your office is looking for. Injury to body area for example--see 959.9. Good luck:)

Trauma: Did you know that if the reason for the radiology service is specified only as trauma, coders cannot code it as an injury and should instead assign V71.4 (observation following other accident) (Vol. 23, No. 1, first quarter, 2006).Coding clinic