Wiki Coding Forums for Hospital Outpatient

MRKOCUREK

Best answers
i have recently joined the AAPC. I am a chargemaster coordinator in a large Hospital here in Florida. Can anyone direct me to a discussion forum for coding outpatients in a Hospital.

I think previously some of us in the hospital environment asked for such a forum. We did have a few forums that typify hospital work, but nothing general for hospital.

Those with interest in seeing AAPC add such a forum should reply to this message with concurrence.

I am interested in such a forum I am the only coder in a small hospital in South Georgia I code the inpatient and outpatient.

I am also interested. I am one of only two coders in a small hospital in Maine and I do all of the coding; O/P and I/P, surgery, clinics, radiology, etc. A hospital coding forum would be a great asset to me:)

Thanks everyone. Lets get this going. I know there are many of us. My biggest challenge is using the CPT book that originally was created for Physicians.

First question. i know there are no guidelines, however, does anyone have any processes in place to bill E&M in a hospital setting. For instance, we have manypatients coming into our OB area for various complaints. We do a Triage and bill and E&M code. We actually set up a level system which includes various nurse duties. I can share if anyone would like to see. Didnt know if anyone else was doing this here. I know there are other Hospitals doing this type of billing that i located on the internet.

I also was wondering about billing E&M for pre and post operative visits. Is this possible. Im talking about a patient coming in 2 days prior for pre op

There are modifiers to use for coding pre/post op global visits. Look at Appendix A for modifiers and descriptions in CPT book. Is that what you mean?

For instance, we have manypatients coming into our OB area for various complaints. We do a Triage and bill and E&M code. We actually set up a level system which includes various nurse duties. I can share if anyone would like to see. Didnt know if anyone else was doing this here. I know there are other Hospitals doing this type of billing that i located on the internet.

Our hospital has a list of facility and professional fees. The facility fees are set up by each individual hospital. We use T-sheets here (unfortunately) and many of the procedures and other things that the nursing staff does has numbers assigned to them so it makes it a little easier for the nurses to choose their facility level (Level 1-5). For the pro fees, I code those myself, based on the information on the T-sheets given by the provider. I am not sure if this is at all what you are talking about so I appologize if it's not helpful:)

Yes, this does look like what I need. I get so confused though, because the CPT book uses the verbiage "Physician" throughout. I have a hard time knowing if I am staying in compliance when I use certain codes.

I guess it depends on what side you are coding for: the professional side or the facility side or both. It took me a while to figure that all out as well as I do pro fees for the ER but I do facility fees for the surgeries and I also code inpatient, so I get it from all sides..lol

Another area of concern, amongst many. Has anyone had any trouble getting paid for IV Adm. Codes from managed care Payors. we have had kickbacks from BCBS on many fronts. Anyone else

Another area of concern, amongst many. Has anyone had any trouble getting paid for IV Adm. Codes from managed care Payors. we have had kickbacks from BCBS on many fronts. Anyone else

Blue Cross Blue Shield states the first 50 units of non ionic contrast is included in the procedure. These are not medicare guidelines. Has anyone heard of this?:rolleyes: