Wiki Coding Hierarchy

Best answers
I am hoping someone can help me with an infusion question. Based on the hierarchy rules a patient should only have 1 initial service for that encounter. The problem is that the patient in question has 2 chemo drug infusions and also has a potassium and magnesium infusion on this date. I used cpt code 96366 IV infusion sequence for the non chemo infusions because again I thought you could only have one initial charge. When I go to code it out though, the edit is stating that this is an add-on code and can't be used without the base procedure.
My question then is, do I ignore the edit or can I have 2 initial charges when the patient is having both multiple chemo infusions and multiple nonchemo infusions on the same encounter.
I would really appreciate your help!

IF you have 2 chemo drugs being infused, you need to know the times of infusion for all, including the magnesium. Let's say both chemo drugs were 1 hour long, you would code 96413 & 96417 and if the magnesium was infused during the chemo drug, it would be considered concurrent & you would code 96368 otherwise your denial is accurate as 96366 does require a primary code which is 96365 but you cannot have 2 primary in the hierarchy. The magnesium would be coded with 96367.

Hope this helps.