Wiki Coding history of PE on anticoagulation

johncyrose

Contributor
Best answers
How does everyone code a pt being seen in clinic for anticoagulation management due to history of pulmonary embolism?

I am second guessing myself since "history of" codes denote that treatment has already been completed but isn't anticoagulation mgt a form of treatment? Then the default code for PE is acute which to me seems contradictory to "history of" conditions.

Appreciate any insight on this regard.

Providers are notoriously bad in correctly documenting 'history of' because many times the patient still has the condition. Providers mindset is that if the patient has had the condition at some time in their life it is 'history of' regardless of whether the problem is still present or not.

In the case of PE however, if history of PE is documented it may be entirely appropriate to use the Z code because anticoagulation therapy is often continued for some time after the condition has been treated. In fact a PE may be resolved but if the patient is considered high risk anticoagulation may be used indefinitely to prevent a recurrence. Z51.81, Z79.01, Z86.711 would be the correct Dx codes.