Wiki coding hydration infusion

SCREWS

Contributor
Best answers
Good Afternoon All,

If a patient received hydration (30min) prior to treatment and 15 min after treatment can I bill the up to an hour hydration code? I know hydration must be administered for 31 min or more to report it.

Your assistance is appreciated

Saundra

Hi Saundra,

If saline is used to administer a medication, a hydration code is not reported and neither is the supply. When saline is used to administer chemotherapy, the hydration is considered incidental and is not reported separately.

Pretty much, do not report if documentation does not support a medical necessity for hydration. I just did some research on this issue. Also, do not report a 96361 if the primary code is not 96360.

Hope this helps,
Ana

Things may have changed, but my last understanding was that the infusion can not be broken up. It needs to be given continuous for 31 min. You can't add the different times together.

Hydration

You do add them together. It is very common for hydration to be given both before the chemo and afterwards to protect the kidneys. It would have to be over 31 min and in this instance would be coded with 96361. If any of the hydration is given concurrently with another infusion then that time is subtracted from the total hydration time.

96360 is only coded also if the hydration was the ONLY infusion given that day.

Sodium Chloride is given more commonly than saline. Dextrose also counts as hydration.
;)

Hydration fluid billing

I am trying to clarify whether the hydration fluids may be billed separately in the office setting. There is much conflicting information out there. Since finding this CPT Asst info below, I'm inclined to not bill the fluids separately. Does anyone have a reputable source that states fluids may be billed with codes 96360-96361?

The May 2014 CPT Asst FAQ States this:
"Question: When reporting code 96360 Intravenous infusion, hydration; initial, 31 minutes to 1 hour, is it only the administration of the fluids included or are the intravenous fluids included in the code as well?

Answer: Basic intravenous fluids are included in these codes, as well as their administration. As indicated on page 593 of the CPT Professional 2014 codebook, “Codes 96360- 96361 are intended to report a hydration IV infusion to consist of a pre-packaged fluid and electrolytes (eg, normal saline, D5-1/2 normal saline+30mEq KCl/liter), but are not used to report infusion of drugs or other substances.

Do you have a source stating it may be billed separately?