Wiki Coding Industry under Trumpcare

brookss

Best answers
So, the republicans have decided to repeal and replace Obamacare. If the Senate deices to go through with it, what do you think it means for the coding industry?

I think advancement in technology is the bigger problem

I have read a report put out by AHIMA in February regarding the future of the health information industry - that includes coding. AHIMA is very concerned that the medical coding profession is going to be drastically changing due to advancements in technology and offshoring of coding jobs. Their belief is that coding will be done using computer aiding coding software which many of us are already using and traditional coding jobs will focus more on auditing, editing and providing education. AHIMA is very concerned about this because more than half of their members identify coding as their primary duty and employers will need less people to perform these functions. They are reevaluating their entry level certifications because they believe entry level HIM positions will be eliminated to due advancements in technology. They are encouraging their members to go back to school for advanced degrees and to obtain specialty certifications in data analytics, EHR development, documentation, etc. I don't know how our profession will change under Trump but I think we all need to prepare for the changes new technology will bring.

Heather

The need for coders was high before obamacare, whatever plan is there people will go to the doctor. You still need to code even for uninsured patients.