Wiki coding jobs going to India

kak6

Guru
Best answers
Greetings:
The coding company I work for is closing and sending our jobs "off shore" ,as they call it, to India. They have two different locations in India. We asked if the people there are certified thru the AAPC and we were told they are. Does anyone know if this is a fact, that the American APC would test and certify these folks in India. Very disturbing that now the coding jobs are leaving the country. Thank you for reading and or answering my post.

Last edited:
I understand many countries have adopted our coding systems (including Japan). So I would not be surprised if they are certified. But I am still quite shocked that they could hire people to work coding jobs from another country. How will the physicians like being queried from India? Doesn't it seem much less secure - taking people's health information out of the country? And wouldn't it be more difficult to monitor accuracy and continually train?

I'm not expecting anyone to have answers!!

In a casual conversation with one of my docs he mentioned this would probably eventually happen. It is disturbing to think our medical info would go outside the country. I wonder, and would hope, they would have to abide by HIPAA. It also upsets me to think more of our jobs in the US are leaving.

What jobs are safe from not going overseas? :confused:

Not so surprising. the AAPC offers exams in India and several other countries. A lot of other medical services are outsourced to other countries. Radiology has been for years. All the info needed to code that chart can be sent without including names, addresses, ID numbers, etc. I don't like it either but I'm not surprised.

I used to work for the billing company that outsourced data entry to India...but not coding. They considered coding as too complex to be outsourced. I hope there still will be a good job market for qualified coders here...

Like IT -- many companies that outsourced came back...

Anyway, that is my take on the issue....

Kate Suchanek, CPC

You are right Kevin I have corrected the statement. We were not thinking and upset about our jobs leaving thank you for the correction.