Wiki Coding prenatal visit for future newborns

Julianna

New
Best answers
We are a Family Practice office that will see a "new Mom to be" shortly before her delivery, at her request, to take her new infant on as a new patient to our practice. Sometimes she is an established patient here in our office and sometimes she may be a new patient. The provider will go over how her pregnancy has gone thus far and discuss with her the future treatment plans of what is provided to her child for well child visits, sick visits, hospital stand by and new baby services provided by him at the hospital, etc. We are trying to determine if we can/should be charging out for the service in our rural health clinic. We have be using IDC9 codes V65.11, V22.2 with usually a low level E/M charge.
Can others let us know what they do regarding this situation.

Since this is for a patient "new Mom to be", I mean it as first pregnancy, and so the 2nd Dx would be V22.0 ... But if you want to mean it not a first pregnancy, the 2nd Dx would be V22.1

V22.2 is an incidental Finding.... Sanjit

We are not supervising the pregnancy, we are planning and establishing care for the "newborn to be", so I believe the V22.2 code would be correct.

My concern is coding for the visit itself for meeting with the Mom and agreeing to take on the newborn once issues have been discussed with office requirements/expectations of both the office and Mom

When I worked at a Pediatric clinic, we would see the new mom before the baby was born, usually to get to know the doctor. We would use V65.11 Pediatric pre birth visit.

What CPT would you use for that visit?? What happens when/if the Ins Co denies the claim? Are you billing the expectant mom for it?? I was just wondering since we do not bill for that and I would like to see if it would be worth it. Thanks for the info. :)

Is there a code for PERINATAL MEDICINE or perinatal counciling?- this is pertaining to the baby to be born and to be followed there after.
MAY BE CAN SEARCH FOR IN V CODE OR SOMETHING RELATED TO PERINATAL.

Did you attach an E/M level to the V65.11 code? If so, what did you usually use for an established pt?

I have billed it out before with usually a 99212 and have had it paid for by medicaid and other insurances. I don't believe that it was ever been denied by any insurances.

Last edited: