Wiki Coding Query

LakshmiSD

New
Best answers
Hi all....Can someone help me to understand if a patient comes with failure of a humidifier in a sleep apnea device and he had sleep apnea condition. How to code the diagnosis part in this scenario ? Do we need to code mechanical complication followed by sleep apnea condition?

Thank you.

Hi,

In the above mentioned scenario I explained, Patient encountered for prescription for change of his sleep apnea device motor in which he stated he is not able to sleep without device and he was using it since 13 years and he is a sleep apnea patient. So can you please explain me do i need to code mechanical complication of device code-J95.850 code?

Thank you

No a sleep apnea machine is not a ventilator. I would use just fitting and adjustment of other device or the sleep apnea dx since the patient doe still have the condition.

The best example of a complication of a mechanical failure would be an insulin pump malfunctions, that means patients is either under dosed and becomes hypoglycemic or poisoned by too much insulin. CPAP breaks you just cant use it, yes you could have a complication come up but the lack of use doesn't always cause a complication. This is just a normal wear and tear issue