coding question - A patient is admitted to the hospital

dbri806411

Contributor
Best answers
A patient is admitted to the hospital with a fever and a headache. After workup, viral meningitis is diagnosed. The patient also has asthma with acute exaerbation and hypertension, which both of are treated. My question is would I code the fever and headache? They are symptoms of the viral meningitis which would be the definite diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated.

Darlene

Hi,
As per my opinion you have code Viral meningitis as a primary Dx, then there is no need to code Fever..

Hope this helps..

Nalini CPC

Hi Darlene:

I agree with Nalini. Fever, headache and a stiff neck are classic signs of meningitis for those over age two and are integral to the disease, therefore per the general coding guidelines, there is no need to code the fever and H/A.

another question along the same lines...
So is it safe to assume that no matter the facility setting, IN patient, out PT, ER professional or technical should the "findings/diagnosis" always be listed as primary DX...as long as it relates to the reason for the visit/exam?? And can you then add any 2ndary codes that may need to be mentioned such as for example PT has a headache with a HX of diabetes and the findings are negative. would you list just 784.0 or would you code both HA and Diabetes?

:) Thanks In advance